Ahoy Sailor!

        
        Barry M Blue Grape, Essie Buy Me A Cameo and Barry M Gold Foil
(let's ignore that the pictures aren't sitting directly beneath each other, I can't get them to sit right and it's really bothering me so I am aware LOL)
Aaaaaar me hearties!  I realise it's not International Talk Like a Pirate Day yet (19th September peeps) but I couldn't resist!  This post is brought to you by my need to do a nautical manicure before the summer is over but by the look of it outside, I fear I may be too late.  It's still as hot as anything here (well for Belfast anyway) but it's really overcast which is good for my skin I guess (not that I'm outside all that much).  Yeah I'm rambling too much so I'll just get on with it.

I used Barry M's Blue Grape as my base colour.  I was trying to decide whether to go for a more mid-blue rather than navy but I went with navy as it's more traditional I guess (pastel nautical...now THAT'S an idea!).  I googled 'Sailor Jerry font' for the lettering on 'Ahoy' and did that first, using a mid-length striper brush with my non-dominant hand.  I was originally just going to do stripes on my left hand but once I finished, using Models Own Nail Art Pen stripers, (and attempted to even out the stripes), I wanted to do some detailing so I added the star gems (from H&M) first for some reason then decided on rope.  I used Gold Foil for this.  The detailing in the rope isn't spot on and you can tell when you look closely but from far way, you get the idea.

Blue Grape is a great blue, kind of in-between a navy and an indigo and two coats does it.  It's from the Gelly Hi-Shine range from Barry M so it's own sheen is brilliant but I always top coat for longevity anyway.  

Have you done any nautical nail art lately?  Or do you like the nautical look in general (I do, I have far too many rings and/or brooches to this effect).  Let me know either in the comments below, facebook,  twitter,   tumblr or instagram, I look forward to hearing from you.  Until next time!










Comments

  1. That is such a stunning blue!

    I haven't done any nautical nail art recently but I might now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, I can see this colour making a few appearances on my nails in the future LOL

      Delete
  2. I love nauticalness (nauticalness? What?), and I can't wait to try this look! I'm definitely going to buy this blue shade (as a massive fan of Gelly nail polishes myself), because it's such a lovely colour, ideal for summer (though there is not much left of it!). I will try this out, but I think I'll have to stick to the stripes, because as beautiful the first one is, it look way to complicated for me to achieve anything like that! I'd just get a "AHOY" in wobbly writing, probably as good as. Four year old could do, haha!

    Ella xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love any and all comments on my blog...except spam, no one likes that, so don't be that guy!